[ExI] Autonomous car ethics

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 19:44:11 UTC 2016

On 24 June 2016 at 15:02, Dave Sill  wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Mike Dougherty wrote:
>> idk, I feel like discussing 'ethics' for cars is taking the
>> conversation down a literal wrong road.
>

> Regardless of what you call it, self-driving cars have to be programmed to
> handle unavoidable accidents.

Yes. But the researchers are making the point that people won't buy /
use a robot car that won't take all possible steps to protect the
passengers.

That must also be the cheapest / most profitable type of car to build
as well. In the seconds available to analyse the situation, there is
not enough time to make a value judgement of all possible
consequences. Just sending a call for assistance and deciding how best
to protect the passengers while minimising other damage is a difficult
enough task

BillK