[ExI] Autonomous car ethics

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 20:55:11 UTC 2016

  If a squirrel
or dog darts out, the car brakes hard but doesn't swerve to miss.

I cannot fathom why swerving is not included in the software.  It is the
tendency of the average driver in a tense situation to just slam on the
brakes, but many situations call for steering out of trouble, as I have
been told by a race driver.

Now I can see the hazard of swerving when one is on a multilane road in Los
Angeles.  Otherwise, no.

If just slamming on the brakes is the only method I see millions spent on
replacing air bags - which, incidentally, have been known to kill people.

bill w