[ExI] DeepMind wins Game1 in Go championship Match

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:10:32 UTC 2016

Google's DeepMind defeats legendary Go player Lee Se-dol in historic victory
<http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/9/11184362/google-alphago-go-deepmind-result>

Quote:
"I was very surprised," said Lee after the match. "I didn't expect to
lose. [But] I didn't think AlphaGo would play the game in such a
perfect manner." DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis expressed "huge
respect for Lee Se-dol and his amazing skills," calling the game
"hugely exciting" and "very tense." Team lead David Silver said it was
an "amazing game of Go that really pushed AlphaGo to its limits."

"I don’t regret accepting this challenge," said Lee. "I am in shock, I
admit that, but what's done is done. I enjoyed this game and look
forward to the next. I think I failed on the opening layout so if I do
a better job on the opening aspect I think I will be able to increase
my probability of winning." Lee was surprised both by how strong
AlphaGo's opening was, and by some unexpected moves.

Lee will face off against AlphaGo again tomorrow and on Saturday,
Sunday, and Tuesday (11pm ET the previous evenings in the US).
Whatever happens in the rest of the series, AlphaGo's victory today is
a colossal moment for AI — but Lee is going to be looking for revenge.
"It was a very close and tense game today," says Hassabis. "When we
came into this match we thought anything was possible and we still
think that now — there’s still four games to go."
---------

It sounds to me as though Lee was surprised by the ability of DeepMind.
He will play seriously from now on!   :)

BillK