[ExI] bees again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 00:29:21 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 6:55 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016  William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​> ​
>> Just got a Sierra Club letter advising that there is a bill in Congress
>> to stop using neonicotinoids (supplied by Bayer - coating of soy and corn
>> seeds) which kill bees.
>>

>> The Sierra Club
> ​'s advice on what substances to ban has not been very good, they​
> pushed hard to ban DDT but they ignored the
>> consequences.
>> In the 1940s in Sri Lanka they had 2.8 million cases of malaria a year,
> then they stared to use DDT to kill mosquitoes and by 1965 there were only
> 17 cases, but then DDT was banned and just 5 years later there were 500,000
> cases. In 1953 in India 800,000 people die
> ​d​
> from malaria, that same year they started to use DDT and by
> ​ ​
> 1966 NOBODY died from malaria in India. In 1955
> ​t​
> he World Health Organization
>> concluded
>> that the complete elimination of malaria
> ​by using DDT ​
> was feasible
> ​,​
> but then DDT was banned and in
> ​1​
> 976 they gave up on
> ​the idea of ​
> eradicating malaria
>> . Today malaria kills 880,000 people
>> , mostly children, EACH YEAR.
>> I like birds and I'm sorry DDT makes the shell on their eggs thin, but I
> like kids too.
>
> No doubt some will say
> ​that by now there must be a
>  better way to get rid of mosquitoes than DDT and it's true there
> ​is​
> , genetic drive implemented
> ​with​
>  CRISPR
> ​ technology, but I expect even more ferocious opposition of CRISPR than
> DDT from environmental groups drumming up fears of 50 foot long mosquitoes
> like something from a 1950s monster movie. And so next year yet another
> 880,000 people will die, but bird eggs will have thick shells and I must
> admit there is not a single
> 50 foot long mosquito
> ​ in sight.​
>>>
>  John K Clark​

​Nobody is stopping other countries, that I know of (did not Google it)
from using DDT or anything else that we have banned.  I have often wondered
why they haven't.  And surely there are alternatives to coating seeds other
than chemicals that kill bees.  ​

​Cut the profits a bit, perhaps, and save the bees.

You raise a moral question:  how many bird or other species is it
acceptable to make extinct to save humans?

bill w​