[ExI] effective charity, was: RE: bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Mar 20 19:47:56 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2016 10:54 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] bees again

>…So - it's just not enough.  And I have no answers to how to get people to sell their yachts and 20 million dollar houses…

That in itself introduces a new paradox.  For people to sell their yachts and 20 million dollar houses requires someone still richer to buy them.  So then…  how does that help?

>…or even just to give a bit each month for world hunger, etc…

Anders Sandberg is a man I hope will chime in on that comment.  He is active in the Effective Altruism movement, which I find intriguing.  You don’t even need to be rich to contribute to that.  From what I can tell from reading their lit, a lot of it is smart tech-oriented people coming up with mathematical functions to figure out how to make each dollar given to world hunger do the most good.

>…  Salvation Army a big exception - those people are serious about their charity…bill w

Second that.  Of all the local charities, I give to that one because it appears to have a good record for actually giving the money and not worrying much about building an organization.

But think about it, for it is not an easy question at all.  We know and have seen that some kinds of charity does harm.  We know that in some places in the globe where agriculture is a constant struggle, importing food smashes the local market and puts out of business.

Charity has to be done with a brain as well as with a heart.