[ExI] bitcoin used for nefarious purposes: was RE: quote for the day

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Thu Mar 24 20:26:32 UTC 2016

On Mar 24, 2016, at 3:45 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Adrian, I think the world of you my brother, and I hope you are right.  But there isn’t a word in your reply (or Anders’ comments for that matter) that convinces me the bitcoin critics were wrong.  If they got away with it, that hospital caper has demonstrated a way for the bad guys to do their nefarious deeds and get paid.  If so, this leads directly to governments everywhere just saying no to cryptocurrency for a legitimate reason: it enables the kinds of crime we don’t want.
> If I owned any bitcoin I would be bailing out headfirst forthwith.
>
> spike

The trouble is that perps spreading ransomware don't care if you have a Bitcoin wallet. They know you will create one to free your pc if needed.

> it enables the kinds of crime we don’t want.

What kind of crime do we want, btw?

Your position implies are you anti-encryption as well now. It can facilitate concealment of crimes in addition to dick pics, you know.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/john-oliver-why-the-apple-fbi-fight-extends-way-past-dick-pics-20160314

-Henry