[ExI] quote of the day - on fame

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 25 16:34:21 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan

"How public, like a frog, to sing your name the livelong June, to an admiring bog."

Emily Dickinson

 Ja, the public does like a frog.  They talk funny, but all the French people I knew were good folks.  They like us Yanks pretty well too I think.

I took it literally -- as in actual anurans croaking away to the annoyance of the narrator.

Regards,

Dan

I aughta make my nickname Ruup.  Then all the frogs would sing my name to an admiring bog.

Advertising: perhaps the most effective TV advertisement ever made was the Budweiser frogs.  Didn’t cost much to make, no celebrities or sports stars to pay, memorable, you knew exactly what they were selling.  I saw that brilliant 30 second ad ONE TIME, one damn time, over twenty years ago, and I remember it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcxcGwg1_ac <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcxcGwg1_ac&ebc=ANyPxKrGW2tNwTSJ2eZxub-PhOziOcIZHY89g28TX7ORgHnwojKFlqcKgqUWZmUZsYHgyBVkasS6NsgYp8WwAqfhjxqVIkaoOA> &ebc=ANyPxKrGW2tNwTSJ2eZxub-PhOziOcIZHY89g28TX7ORgHnwojKFlqcKgqUWZmUZsYHgyBVkasS6NsgYp8WwAqfhjxqVIkaoOA

Simple idea, very simple execution, perhaps inspired by the Dickinson poem, sold seas of Budweiser.  Contrast: the annoying ten…nine…eight PLUTO commercial in front of so many internet clips.  Expensive to make because it required two elaborate sets, at least three costumes and lots of actors, completely unclear what is actually being sold or what brand of whatever it is we are to buy.

Perhaps the greatest accomplishment of poetry is its inherent ambiguity.  It keeps college literature professors employed.