[ExI] sciam blog article

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:28:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> I would expect that a compact description of AlphaGo's underlying
> algorithm is many times shorter than the description of that AI's final
> shape after playing millions of Go games.

I would expect the same thing,
​
and I would expect that the difference in
​c​
complexity between a humble mediocre master learning algorithm and an
​a​
astounding genius level
​
master learning algorithm
​
to be quite small. There are only about
​
 35 million DNA base pairs
​
that differ between the genome of a chimpanzee and the genome of a human;
​
2 bits
​
per base pair and
​
 8 bits per byte so
​
there is
​less than 9​
​
meg
​
difference between the two species. And all that
​9​
 meg can't be used for just the improved master learning algorithm,  I
believe there may be some physical differences between humans and chimps
too.

I remember
​
that a little before
​
the turn of the century I bought a fancy mouse for my computer
​
that had
​
a lot of new exotic features like a scroll wheel, but before my computer
could understand the signals from my high tech mouse I had to
​i​
install some new software, and at the time it seemed
​
like a
​
huge
​
program, it was about one meg. The human master learning algorithm might
not be much larger.

 John K Clark