[ExI] sciam blog article

Robin D Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Sun Mar 27 03:32:13 UTC 2016

On Mar 26, 2016, at 1:34 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com<mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com>> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 1:03 AM, Robin D Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu<mailto:rhanson at gmu.edu>> wrote:

​> ​
You can code an awful lot of complexity into even 100MB of code, and if that is non-modular spaghetti object code instead of modular documented source code, it could take an awful long time to figure out.

​Then it might be better to look for the master learning algorithm directly rather than trying to reverse engineer the biological brain; the recent successes in deep machine learning like
AlphaGo
​ makes me think we might not be too far from finding it.​

Even if there were a single “master” learning algorithm, instead of many more context dependent learning algorithms, there can still be many other relevant design choices, including choices of representations.