[ExI] Gunfight at the OK Convention

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:09:11 UTC 2016

On Mar 28, 2016 1:21 AM, "Anders Sandberg" <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> I got the impression the petition was  actually started by a bunch of
democrat gadflies. But the joke is a pretty good one. Whenever I encounter
someone being irrationally optimistic about the politeness and peacemaking
properties of guns I suggest that this is why we ought to arm prisoners.

Taking it from Spike's posts that the topic is not banned...

I'm trying to think through how this would actually work.  Even at their
angriest, they would remember the guns are deadly force and so wouldn't
fire on anyone they don't think is about to fire on them, right?  So to get
something like a bar fight with guns going, it seems like first you would
need to physically separate the groups (which may naturally happen) so they
have clear targets instead of not knowing who near them is on what side,
and then you would need to light fireworks or something to confuse the
groups into thinking they're being shot at.  It doesn't seem that hard to
do (and perhaps to get away with: putting tape-covered small objects here
and there, walking a safe distance away once that's done and the groups gel
out, detonating the fireworks via remote, and then escaping with everyone
else fleeing the scene), but I wonder if anyone would go to such lengths to
sabotage the GOP convention.