[ExI] experimental philosophy

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:57:44 UTC 2016

​I am touchily territorial about psychology.  My colleagues have discovered
an incredible number of things about the human mind and human behavior, and
I want them to get the credit.

A Nobel Prize was awarded in the 50s for the split brain research, which
was all psychological after the actual surgery.  But of course there is no
prize for psychology, so they gave it for medicine.

Now here's Kahneman and Tversky getting a Nobel for behavioral economics,
which again should be in psychology because their work has implications far
beyond​ economics (which isn't much a science anyway, but you can't blame
the Nobel committee for that).  No question that their work deserves a
Nobel.

Now there's experimental philosophy trying to grab some of the limelight.
Are we going to pick the psychology department apart and distribute its
work to other departments?

I applaud any good scientific work done with humans re psychology.  But to
call it something other than psychology is just playing with words and
taking credit where it isn't due.

bill w