[ExI] calling for our exi computer security hipsters, was: RE: Donald Trump

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat May 7 18:17:52 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 6:30 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>  *From:* extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Anders Sandberg
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] calling for our exi computer security hipsters, was:
> RE: Donald Trump
>

> >…My suggestion is that the key part is safeguarding the open society. …
>

> Ja squared.  Cubed.
>

> >…Help build solid legal and technical protections for journalists…
>

> Both our major candidates have expressed disdain for the news media in
> very explicit terms.  One arranged for a guy on probation to go to prison
> for posting a video to YouTube.  The quote, now denied but confirmed
> independently by four witnesses was “We will find the guy who made that
> video and punish him.”

I wonder...what if some high political candidate, such as that John fellow
that Spike keeps pushing, were to adopt as a platform plank, "I can not
trust the government I would rule any more than you have been able to trust
them.  So for my own operations' sake, I would establish greater freedoms
for the press, and trust them to keep my cronies honest because keeping
them in line is a much bigger job than I could do by myself."

Aside from its effects if implemented (assuming the guy won), how much free
press would such a candidate get from journalists looking out for their own
interests?

Spike, do you think you could get John to start promoting this?