[ExI] Should we teach Strong AI Ethics?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu May 26 21:20:49 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-26 17:18, BillK wrote:
> <http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=4122>
>
> Serious point though.
> If we teach AI about ethical behaviour (for our own safety) what do we
> expect the AI to do when it sees humans behaving unethically (to a
> greater or lesser extent)?
>
> Can a totally ethical AI even operate successfully among humans?

What is "totally ethical"?

[Philosopher hat on!]

Normally when we say something like that, we mean somebody who follows
the One True moral system perfectly. Or at least one moral system
perfectly. There are no humans that do it, so we do not have reliable
intuitions about what it would mean. Now, a caricature view  of moral
perfection is somebody being a saintly wuss: super kind, but exploitable
by imperfect and nasty actors.

But there is no reason to think this is the only choice. You could
imagine a morally perfect Objectivist, following rules of enlightened
selfishness. Or a perfect average utilitarian maximizing the average
happiness of all entities in our future lightcone. Neither would be a
pushover ("If I give you my wallet there will be less resources for my
von Neumann probe program. So, no, I will not give it to you. In fact, I
will now force you to give me your money - I see that this will enable a
further quintillion minds. Thank you.") Convergent instrumental goal
behavior likely tends to turn wussy nice agents non-wussy.

There is an interesting issue about what to do with imperfect moral
agents if you are a perfect one. A Kantian agent would presumably
respect their autonomy and try to guide them to see how to obey the
categorical imperative. A consequentialist agent would try to manipulate
them to behave better, but the means might be anything from incentives
to persuation to brainwashing. A virtue agent might not care at all,
just demonstrating its own excellence. A paperclip maximizing agent
would find non-paperclip maximizers a waste of resources and work to
remove them.

In fact, most pure moral systems are very bad at "live and let live". We
humans tend to de facto behave like that because our power is about
equal; entities that are orders of magnitude more powerful may not
behave like that unless we get the value code just right.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute