[ExI] cool article by shostak

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 19:46:12 UTC 2016

On 16 November 2016 at 18:20, spike wrote:
> Interesting commentary by SETI’s Seth Shostak:
>
> http://www.space.com/34713-intelligent-aliens-machines-seti-search.html
>
> Electronic ET: Intelligent aliens are likely machines
> By Mike Wall Space.com Senior Writer
>  Published November 15, 2016
>
> Any intelligent aliens that humans manage to contact probably won't look
> much like you or me, or the squid-like creatures in the new film "Arrival."
>
> If an extraterrestrial species becomes advanced enough to send signals
> Earthlings can pick up, it will likely shed its traditional biological
> trappings and become a form of machine intelligence in rather short order,
> said veteran alien hunter Seth Shostak.

<snip>

I agree with the logic of this article, but there's something missing.

Why aren't these AI machines all over the galaxy?
Why aren't they broadcasting?

What Shostak doesn't mention is the speedup in processing of these AIs
and the consequences of that speedup.
It would result in the physical universe appearing to be very slow,
even 'dead'. And why would they try to communicate with the dead?

BillK