[ExI] add a letter

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 17 21:12:23 UTC 2016

Subject: Re: [ExI] add a letter

On Nov 17, 2016 9:37 AM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net <mailto:spike66 at att.net> > wrote:
>>… We are daily confronted with an alphabet soup of sexual identities.  Now we get to add M for macrosexual.

>...I propose ambitiosexual: those who are turned on by being, or by others prominently displaying, copious and obvious pretentiousness, but who are perhaps turned off by actual talent and all the mundanities of following through to make any actual success meaningful… Adrian

The whole concept reminds me of something that took place here some time ago.

We had a poster some time ago who had some mental issues going on apparently, so I was reluctant to take him off moderation.  He only posted a few times; I don’t even recall his name.  This all took place about the time Second Life was getting big headlines on SlashDot and the geek sites.

This poster was really an upfront guy (if he was male (I will assume it.))  He explained that he was just not turned on by real life women, but rather only those proportioned in such a way that it really didn’t exist in the real world.  His solution: Second Life.  He learned how to do computer graphics well enough that he created an avatar in Second Life, and used it in another sim, proportioned to his liking.  He posted me offlist and invited me to come over for a look.  When I saw what he had constructed, I had to agree, wwwwooooo Jaysus, ja you are unlikely to find that in the real world.  I have never seen it, and I don’t expect to in the future, at least not outside a computer sim.

In the excellent movie The Truman Show, you may recall how the actress playing his high school girlfriend and Truman fell in love, so Cristof whisked her away to Fiji and substituted Laura Linney (this is a bad thing?  (I would trade a dozen Natascha McElhones for one Laura Linney (but Truman and Natasha loved each other, so…)))  Truman has no photo of Natascha, so he is always buying women’s magazines and trying to piece together a woman from photos that would remind him of her.  Eventually he creates a composite that is close.  Wasn’t that a great scene?  He is off to Fiji.

That guy who was posting to ExI reminded me in a way of Truman’s struggle.  He knew what he saw wasn’t what he wanted, but he realized he had to create what he was looking for, and live in that fantasy world, a sim.