[ExI] cool article by shostak

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:41:04 UTC 2016

 Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> If the behaviour associated with emotions can be replicated by a computer,
> the emotions should follow.

​For a emotion like pain write a program such that the closer the number in
the X register comes to the integer P ​the more computational resources
will be devoted to changing that number, and if it ever actually equals P
then the program should stop doing everything else and do nothing but try
to change that number to something far enough away from P until it's no
longer an urgent matter and the program can again do things that have
nothing to do with P.

> ​> ​
> Otherwise, we would be able to make a partial philosophical zombie, which
> is logically problematic:

​I know for certain of one example of a being that is not a zombie, and if
intelligence without consciousness is logically possible I don't understand
why Evolution bothered to produce consciousness even one time.  ​

​And yet I know for a fact that it did.​

​John K Clark​