[ExI] META: Bottom posting in Gmail

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:18:41 UTC 2016

On 21 November 2016 at 04:34, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> (It's getting difficult to format replies to these posts - Gmail in my
> browser defaults to top-posting and I can't change it).

Gmail sees itself as a general easy-to-use email client. Nowadays
bottom posting is only used in old-fashioned mailing lists and Google
appears to think that adding this option would confuse the millions of
'chatty' users.

However, you can try a Google Labs work-around.
In Labs, enable the "Quote Selected Text" extension. When enabled, if
you highlight the text you want to quote before hitting Reply, the
compose box will come up in bottom-post format, without the text that
you didn't select.
Usually it is best to edit long posts before replying but this can be
done after the initial selection of the complete text.

BillK