[ExI] META: Bottom posting in Gmail

Brian Manning Delaney bmd54321 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:23:01 UTC 2016

Bill,

Thanks for the useful pointer about the Quote Selected Text extension.

I almost never top-post/-email/-etc. If I don't feel I need to quote
material at the top, to be clear what I'm directly responding to, I
delete it -- that, for many reasons. One is I don't want multiple hits
coming up in Thunderbird later if I'm searching for something.

Another is a silly conservatism. By way of analogy: Imagine say Leo
Strauss or someone wanting to respond to the email he got from his pal
Martin with the latter's new book /Being and Time/. Leo attaches a full
copy of /Being and Time/ in his response, and writes "LOL" at the top
(perhaps "under erasure"). I want very much to be the opposite of that
kind of correspondent.

By the way, I recently discovered that my default Samsung/Android email
app doesn't even have a setting for NOT top posting! I can delete the
quoted text manually, but not the "XXX wrote" part. God help us. When I
have time I'll set up a different app. There must be some better ones
out there. Probably hundreds.

Brian