[ExI] that's not true!

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Nov 25 16:51:12 UTC 2016

Some of you were around for Extro4, that extropian schmooze Natasha and Max
organized in about 1999 at Berkeley.

A number of speakers were having a panel discussion in which one biologist
made a comment about germline DNA modification being out of our reach and
would be impossible forever.  At that moment a lone voice from the back of
the auditorium shouted THAT'S NOT TRUE!  Up stood Robert Bradbury, who made
the case that such a technology is eventually going to be reality and part
of the medics' arsenal.  Bradbury and the expert debated back and forth
across this auditorium.  Afterwards I watched the crowds gather around both
speakers.  It was clear enough to me that the biology hipsters present
believed Robert's version of the future.

According to this article, the Chinese have made Bradbury's vision reality:

http://singularityhub.com/2016/11/18/lung-cancer-patient-first-to-undergo-cr
ispr-gene-editing/?utm_source=Singularity+Hub+Newsletter&utm_campaign=fb62de
8787-Hub_Weekly_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f0cf60cdae-fb62de8787
-57458369

Cool!

So tragic it is that Robert lived 5 years too short to see this.

Now all of yas, put away the recreational pharmaceuticals, exercise, eat
light, live right, sleep in your own bed every night, live long enough to
see coming to fruition your favorite technological vision!  And if you
don't, make arrangements to preserve your connectome!  We have tech to live
for.