[ExI] Memorial for Lee Corbin Sunday Oct 16

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Oct 9 16:04:49 UTC 2016

>. On Behalf Of Anders
Subject: Re: [ExI] Memorial for Lee Corbin Sunday Oct 16

Tragic. Hopefully reversible, but still tragic.

I remember him being a fixture when I first came onto this list. And a quite
essential node in the networks when I made sociograms of our conversations.
Anders

Lee was Dr. Matrix.  For those who followed the annual Dr. Joshua Irving
Matrix columns in Martin Gardner's Mathematical Recreations column in
Scientific American, Lee could have been the model for Dr. Matrix.  If one
wanted to talk about futurism, mathematics or computers, he was the man to
see.  Very far outside those topics, he was lost.

I went back over my notes from about ten years ago and reviewed our
discussions.  He taught me Python, I taught him spreadsheet scripting
language.  We were both doing mathematical explorations and both benefitted
enormously from the other's expertise.  I don't know if I was the better
teacher or he was the better student, but my progress in Python was slower
than his progress in VBA.

Lee is gone but never forgotten.