[ExI] biology term

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Oct 12 20:52:24 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of rex

There are several terms for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balancing_selection

I suspect it's more common than is generally recognized.

-rex
--
"You do not examine legislation in light of the benefits it will convey if
properly administered, but in light of the wrongs it would do and the  harms

Thanks Rex.  You and Stathis identified it as heterozygote advantage.  I
thought there was a more specific term for that concept, but this states the
notion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterozygote_advantage

OK cool, so if we identify a bunch of these heterozygote advantages, then we
could use CRISPR to induce the mutant copy widely.  Then when couples with
the mutation mate, a heterozygous embryo is chosen, then the result is a
healthier population (even though not one which can reproduce haphazardly.)