[ExI] biology term

Anders anders at aleph.se
Wed Oct 12 07:52:57 UTC 2016

We can model it like this: assume the probability that one chromosome
has the mutation is p. The risk of having two copies is p^2, one copy
2p(1-p). When you have one copy you have fitness y, with two fitness x,
and fitness 1 if one has none. Finally, there is a probability q that a
new mutation will make a chromosome to switch to the mutation.

Given this, the next generation will have (1-q)^2(1-p)^2 + y(1-q)p(1-p)
chromosomes without the mutation (first term matings between
non-carriers, second matings between heterozygous people). There will be
xp^2 + y(1-q)p(1-p) + (1-(1-q)^2)(1-p)^2 + yqp(1-p) copies (matings
homozygos people, heterozygous, mutations in non-carriers and in
heterozygous carriers).  Normalizing we get

p = [ xp^2 + y(1-q)p(1-p) + (1-(1-q)^2)(1-p)^2 + yqp(1-p) ]/
[(1-q)^2(1-p)^2 + y(1-q)p(1-p) + xp^2 + y(1-q)p(1-p) +
(1-(1-q)^2)(1-p)^2 + yqp(1-p) ]

I need to catch a flight, so I do not have the time to do the algebra,
but if you do this right (I may have dropped a term or a factor
somewhere) you will get an equilibrium p dependent on x, y and q. q
refills the population even if there is no heterozygous advantage.