[ExI] self driving truck

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Oct 25 16:53:19 UTC 2016

Cool!  So now we have a demonstration using an 18 wheeler:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2016/10/25/ottos-self-driving-semi-truck-made-be
er-run.html

It has been twelve years since we started really talking about this and how
it is a logical application of existing technology.  Had even something so
mainstream as autobraking been installed on that bus in Palm Springs, 13
proles would have been saved, just autobraking, never mind the rest of it.
Autobraking is proven mainstream technology; my buddy has a Lexus with that
on there.

This bit about setting the autopilot and getting in back is cool however.
It is easy enough to envision the logical next step.  It doesn't need to be
full self-driving; just freeway autopilot will do.  Get a van with this
setup, 500 mile freeway ride, get on there with conventional bio-guidance,
set autopilot, nine free hours to ingest recreational pharmaceutical of
choice (not recommending it, just acknowledging that the proles will do it)
get in back with sweetheart, time to entertain each other, sleep it off,
recover senses in time to take over bio-guidance duties upon arrival ten
hours later.

I had a situation which required regular trips of 500 miles, 97% of it
freeway.  That trip would be so much more entertaining or refreshing had I
this technology at the time.  I would give them 10k to have it.