[ExI] language question

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Oct 29 16:59:36 UTC 2016

Subject: Re: [ExI] language question

Spike wrote:

>We are hearing another awkward compromise where we use the
>traditionally genderless term "they" in place of the clumsy "he or she"
>and "their" in place of "his or her."  ....  I can embrace that with
>all our heart.

>...The singular 'they' is nothing new. It has been around for many
centuries. It is seen in the works of Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens, Clemens,
Thackeray, Orwell, and Lubkin. -- David.

Ja, I keep hearing this "Shakespeare" thrown around as if she is some kind
of authority on the English language.  And this "Austen," who made him the
big Mr. Know-It-All?  We am so puzzled.

We are allowed some lighthearted banter considering the difficult time in
which we find ourself.