[ExI] self driving truck

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 31 14:46:45 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
…

​> ​

My best guess would be to replace nanny-state with nanny-county and nanny-city.

​What's the difference?​

The difference is that state and local governments have the authority to tax property rather than just earnings.

The US Federal government cannot afford it.  It is already too deeply in debt and cannot even balance its budget, never mind taking on a bunch of new expense.

More importantly, the Fed cannot tax based on what we have, rather only what we earn.  State and local governments have the option of property tax.

Should the Federal government try to institute a tax based on what we own, capital flees along with the owners of that capital, it and they cannot even be traced.  It is converted to gold, silver, other assets which cannot be found.  Wealth disappears into forms which do not employ anyone or create new wealth.  So… the Fed doesn’t do that.  So… the Fed cannot afford to deal with the newly unemployed.  So… it falls to states and locals which have the authority to tax property.