[ExI] A Working Quantum Computer by 2017?

Anders anders at aleph.se
Sun Sep 4 22:10:16 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-04 18:16, John Clark wrote:
>> Maybe, but not every computer scientist would agree. The people at
> Microsoft's
> ​ ​
> Quantum Architectures and Computation
> ​ ​
> Group
> ​ ​think
>  a 100 Qubit quantum computer could
> ​ ​
> simulate nitrogen fixation, something of enormous industrial and
> agricultural importance.

Nice paper. Also manages to show a real problem that is a low-hanging
fruit if we get quantum computers.

> ​I don't think Google and Microsoft would be spending millions of
> dollars on it if they thought quantum computers would never have a
> practical application.​ If they end up being able to do nothing but
> factor large numbers that alone would be enough to make them be of
> great interest to the NSA, but I have a hunch they can do much more.

I never said that they were useless (if they work), just that the
problem class they solve is a more specific one than what we solve
(slowly) using our current computers.

Most computations done today are likely sorting, matrix operations and
searching. But the ones we care most about tend to be simulations, and
this is where quantum computers could shine.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute