[ExI] statins

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 00:27:14 UTC 2016

On Saturday, 10 September 2016, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','stathisp at gmail.com');>> wrote:
>

>> On 10 September 2016 at 05:02, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','sparge at gmail.com');>> wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, I'm extremely skeptical of claims that a man-made drug is safe and
>>> effective for a problem that is basically due to poor diet and lack of
>>> exercise.
>>>

>> Why would you be sceptical for that reason? Would you be more likely to
>> accept, for example, that drugs could be helpful for a problem that has a
>> genetic basis?
>>

> Because problems due to poor lifestyle choices should first be treated by
> correcting the cause of the problem. "Just take this pill" is too easy for
> doctors to prescribe and patients to believe. Statins aren't the equivalent
> of a healthy lifestyle in a pill. For people for whom lifestyle changes
> have failed, sure, they're better than nothing.

Lifestyle changes are difficult for many people, otherwise they wouldn't
risk an early death. But your response raises an interesting point: if
there were a pill available that could easily rectify negative consequences
of enjoyable but harmful behaviour, what would be wrong with that?

--
Stathis Papaioannou