[ExI] If you follow the developments with Tabby's star . .

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Sep 15 01:24:50 UTC 2016

This is what is being reported today:

391.4 parsecs
1276 light years
Parallax error: 0.307 mas
Distance range: 349.4 to 444.8 parsecs
Distance range: 1139.0 to 1450.0 light years

This is puzzling indeed.  Before this measurement, the distance was being
reported as 454 pc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

Now that estimate is above the high end of the parallax measurement.

Help us John Clark and Anders wan Kenobi!

That means Boyajian's star (I still prefer Tabby's star, but I will get over
it) is closer than we thought, so there is more dimming than we thought, and
the dimming by mere dust becomes less likely.  Reasoning: if dust around
Tabby caused the dimming, it would have more IR signature, ja?

Cool!

spike