[ExI] right to try bill

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 02:54:46 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:02 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>…Should terminally ill patients be allowed to end their lives via
>> assisted suicide?"
>> ​ ​
>> "yes but" is not a more complete answer it is a inferior answer than
>> "yes".  And there are no ifs ands or even buts about it…​  John K Clark​
>>

> ​> ​
> Indeed sir?  Suppose the government decides you are terminally ill and
> deplorable.  Is it allowed to assist you in suicide?

Yes I think so  because I am a libertarian. I also think it's irrelevant if
the government or if anybody else thinks you're terminally ill or not.
​ ​
The question was if
​ ​
​ ​
want to end my life, because I'm ill or for any other reason,
​ ​
should I be
​ ​
allowed to obtain help to do so. My answer is a simple "yes" and I see no
need to place a "but" after
​ ​
it. If the government wants to help me that's fine,
​ if a company wants to help me for a fee that's fine,​
if my friends want to help that's fine too and I don't want them prosecuted
for murder after my death. I'm even fine with people who can't stand me
helping me do what I want because they think the world will be a better
place after I'm dead; if somebody does the right thing for the wrong reason
it's still the right thing.

I don't want you to get the wrong idea, I'm basically a happy person and
I've never had a suicidal thought in my life, although it doesn't
take much imagination to conceive of theoretical circumstances where that
would change and I (or anybody) would want to end it all. Making somebody
live when they want to die as as great a injustice as making somebody die
when they want to live. That should be libertarianism 101.

 John K Clark