[ExI] saving lives

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 15:36:48 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Well, how about this:  a phone disabled from texting has an emergency
> number which CAN be accessed by texting.
>
> I suggest any call to 911 enables texting.

Like I said, I'm sure there are cases I'm not considering.

But outside of federally-mandating paying Apple to use a ridiculously
obvious patent, as a libertarian I oppose all forms of nannying. Once we
start up the slippery slope of technologically prohibiting risky behavior,
were will it end? Studies show that even hands-free talking distracts
drivers, so clearly that should be blocked. Excessive speed increases
injuries and deaths, so speed limits should be enforced by cars. (Which
self-driving cars will, no doubt, do.) Loud music makes it hard to hear
emergency vehicles, so stereos should have a federally-specified maximum
volume. Impaired driving kills and maims lots of people, so every car
should have a breathalyzer/sobriety test built in. Etc., etc.

-Dave