[ExI] Quantum consciousness, quantum mysticism, and transhumanist engineering

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 21:23:06 UTC 2017

A robot may be aware of its surroundings, demonstrated by the fact that it
can walk around, look for objects, pick them up and so on. But is it
conscious? What experiment would you do to find out?
Stathis Papaioannou

 The robot is no more and no less aware than a self-driving car.  I would
not call the robot aware.  What frustrates me is that some posters seem to
equate awareness and consciousness and some don't, like you.

The robot and the car are S-R creatures.  They receive stimuli and react to
them according to their programming. People are S-O-R, meaning that above
the stimuli that are being processed, there are meta functions checking the
S-R behaviors and seeing if that's really what they want to do, and
changing the program on the fly if not.  If robots have meta functions, and
I know just about nothing about robots and AI, then I am wrong, and the
robots and AI are functionally equivalent to a person.  John doesn't like
definitions, but I do, so what's the difference between awareness and
consciousness explicit in your question?

bill w