[ExI] toxins - was the truth about neonicotinoids

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 17:21:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:15 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Here is a real poser for libertarians:  the toxin most damaging to our
> health is tobacco.

Tobacco is a plant, not a toxin. Tobacco smoke has thousands of compounds,
some of which are carcinogens.

> As nonsmokers we are paying a lot of our taxes for the health care of
> smokers and that just chaps my ass!

Yeah, it'd be nice to just pay for health insurance based on our own
habits. I'm not really heartless enough to sit by and watch people die
because they had bad habits and/or poor judgment. I know it's not
libertarian but I'd be OK with supporting a minimal level of universal
health care--definitely less than the kind of plan I have through my
employer. The cost of such a plan could easily be paid for by shrinking
defense spending accordingly.

Second is alcohol.

I drink but not enough to have seriously increased risk. I'd be OK with
paying appropriately more for insurance.

> Third is whatever is making people fat.

Mostly carbs, I think, due to the govt's anti-fat hysteria.

The rest of the toxins are very minor players indeed compared to those
> above.  That we know of.
>
> What is a libertarian to do?  He doesn't want to dictate on other people's
> choices, but other people are infringing on his wallet!

-Dave