[ExI] annoying, unsolicited advice

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 19:43:26 UTC 2017

I had a friend, a Jew, a brilliant mathematician, an obsessive compulsive
neurotic,  a collector of baseball trivia, among other things, one of which
was teacher of undergraduate math - exactly where he should not have been.

He was dating one of his students (again) and was tutoring her in math.  As
he reported to me, he told her that it was so simple that he was astonished
that she didn't get it right away, and more along that line.

So basically he was humiliating her, completely unintentionally, even after
I repeatedly told him what he was doing, which was the same as what he did
in his classes.  He was a super sensitive person and would have nearly
killed himself if he had known just how badly he made his students feel.

He obsessed over this very poor teacher evaluations.  He just didn't get
it.  He was a failure at teaching.  He didn't have to be.

One does not have to be called a teacher to be one.  I have been taught on
this list several times and appreciated that no one talked down to me even
though his level of understanding was apparently way above mine.

Owners of businesses, managers of anything at any level, are all basically
teachers and should realize the effect they have on their employees when
they put them down over and over.  And they wonder why managers are among
the most hated professions of all.

It's really simple, isn't it?

bill w