[ExI] saturated fats safe

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:17:14 UTC 2017

On 28 April 2017 at 14:45, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> In case you missed this the last time I sent something similar:
>
> Three cardiologists have broken ranks with many of their colleagues in an
> editorial published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine (April 25,
> 2017). These are not just any old cardiologists.
<snip>

They have broken ranks because they are a tiny minority opinion with
funding from the meat industry and drug companies.

Debunked in many places. Here's one -
<https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/experts-headline-grabbing-editorial-on-saturated-fats-bizarre-misleading/>

Quote:

Overall, experts dubbed the editorial, like the ones before it,
misleading and confusing.

“The Mediterranean diet and daily exercise can help reduce heart
disease risk,” said Mike Knapton, associate medical director at the
British Heart Foundation. “But I’m afraid the claims about saturated
fat made in this opinion piece are unhelpful and misleading.”

As before, health experts recommend keeping saturated fats, added
sugars, and sodium in check, while loading up on fruits, vegetables,
lean meats and protein sources, low-fat dairy, and oils. But overall,
people should focus on healthy eating patterns rather than individual
foods or meals. In other words, there's no such thing as "good" or
"bad" foods, just healthy or unhealthy diets. And everyone agrees that
exercise is beneficial to health.

Saturated fats are not 'poison', of course, and a small amount as part
of a generally healthy diet won't do much harm.

BillK