[ExI] for technomancers

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 18:59:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 11:47 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 August 2017 at 17:04, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> > Homo Deus, A Brief History of Tomorrow - by Yuval Noah Harari
> >

> Harari does have quite a good point - that humans already live in a
> type of virtual reality constructed by our brains. e.g. religion can
> be thought of as an elaborate virtual reality game. Without the
> rulebook, 'holy places' are just piles of bricks and mortar.
>
> He has extended this thought to say that when AI causes mass
> unemployment, AI will also produce really engrossing virtual reality
> games for humans, so that humans can continue to explore and get the
> sense of achievement that they need to remain sane.
>
> Is that the future for all intelligent civilisations?
>
> BillK

​I think we may have to redefine 'intelligent civilization'.  I don't think
we have experienced one yet.

  I find it nearly sickening that people, not just teens or
never-to-be-grown-up adults, find real achievement in battling imaginary
orcs and aliens and ghosts et alia.

​At least there is some athleticism in sports, as unnecessary as that will
be to our future.  Are really quick thumbs going to be all that important?​