[ExI] civil war denial

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 19:22:19 UTC 2017

The civil war took place within the borders of the US, and is woven into
the fabric of the nation.  It's a false equivalence.  I would add that
equating a monument to Lee with a Nazi symbol shows a lack of nuance
regarding the history of the Civil War, and the Confederates in
particular.  I doubt Grant would be in favor of tearing down every
Confederate monument in sight if he were around to witness this.

And trust me, even if you don't buy into any of the above, this won't end
with removing Confederate monuments once the alt-left finds its next
target.

Putting aside the Daesh like monument destruction, I find it a lot more
troubling that the internet is in the hands of a few virtue signalling
companies with the power to silence anyone they don't care for.  I would
expect their recent behaviors to end in either a SCOTUS challenge on 1st
amendment grounds, or them being broken up under the Sherman antitrust act,
but that could be a long time coming.