[ExI] civil war denial

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 22:57:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> The civil war took place within the borders of the US, and is woven into
> the fabric of the nation.  It's a false equivalence.  I would add that
> equating a monument to Lee with a Nazi symbol shows a lack of nuance
> regarding the history of the Civil War,

​That's true there is a difference:

 *Robert E Lee was an American
 traitor
​,​
​ Hitler was not.

​*​
Robert E Lee
​ ​
violated the oath he made when he became a officer in the US Army
​, Hitler did not.

​*​
Robert E Lee
​ killed 50% more American citizens than Hitler and Japan's Tojo ​put
together.

> ​> ​
> I doubt Grant would be in favor of tearing down every Confederate monument
> in sight if he were around to witness this.

​Is there any reason I should care what Grant's opinion on this might have
been?​

​> ​
> And trust me, even if you don't buy into any of the above, this won't end
> with removing Confederate monuments once the alt-left finds its next
> target.

​Wow, that didn't take long! Trump says "alt-left" on Tuesday and on Friday
we've got it on the Extropian list. Trump also likes to say "trust me" a
lot.
Monkey see monkey do.
​

John K Clark​