[ExI] Dark mass = FTL baryons?

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Aug 24 02:32:28 UTC 2017

John Clark wrote:

​>The singularity at the center of a Black Hole is outside the light cone
>but the event horizon and the intense gravitational field there is not, it
>can influence things far away but, like everything else, only at the speed
>of light. Physics can't say what the Singularity is doing but it doesn't
>need to if you're only interested in things outside the event horizon.  ​

Right. And everything measurable that dark matter does seems to happen
outside its event horizon also. You can see the footprints but you can't
see the beast that made them.

>Whatever Dark Matter is one thing we know for sure is it's not
​>
>superluminal
​>,
>in fact it's very slow; recent studies show it's less than 54 meters per
>second
​>
>.So I guess you could say 120 mph is the speed of dark:
>
>https://arxiv.org/abs/1309.6971

The authors of that paper assumed the model of cold dark matter (CDM),
assumed several parameters for decoupling of WIMPs from the standard
model, and then put bounds on its velocity based on those assumptions. If
CDM is composed of WIMPs as they supposedly believe, then these particles
would be about a thousand times the mass of a proton.

Any particles that massive would have had to freeze out of the quark-gluon
plasma of the big bang fire ball *before* protons when the universe was
even younger and hotter.

So where did all that thermal kinetic energy go? WIMPs don't interact with
light or matter except gravitationally, so it could not have radiated any
of the energy away.

The paper's figure of 54 meters per second doesn't even begin to make
sense. How are WIMPs able to stay in the galactic halo, where orbital
speeds are on the order of 150 km/s at such a puny speed? Any WIMPs moving
that slow should have been gobbled up by central blackhole of any galaxy
long ago.

As far as superluminal particles go, they should not really have a defined
speed in our reference frame. They should instead be very long space
noodles that don't move much relative to us and simply flash into and out
of existence very quickly.

Besides with all your talk of primordial blackholes, I would have expected
you to be more of a MACHO guy any way.

​>Even gravity can't cause thing to change at arbitrary distances
>instantaneously, if it could gravitational waves could not exist. If you
>suddenly pushed the sun sideways the Earth would not change its orbit in
>the slightest for about 8 minutes because even gravity and the spacetime
>distortions it causes is limited to the speed of light. ​

This is fine. Nothing about my hypothesis requires the gravitational flux
of superluminal particles/ space noodles to propagate at any speed other
than c.

Stuart LaForge