[ExI] alpha zero

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 7 17:55:00 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark

​>​…I still haven’t convinced myself it is true.

>…To figure out all that in a day requires some powerful inference activity.  John I am putting myself in the camp of hope it’s true, but estimate 70% chance it isn’t.  I don’t know how the hell they did this if true.

​

If this is a hoax it's a very elaborate one the likes of which we haven't seen since the cold fusion fiasco. ​

​And the hoax would involve a huge company like Google and that doesn't seem very likely.​

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.01815v1.pdf

​John K Clark ​

Ja I could have clarified my doubt a bit.  I don’t suspect an intentional hoax, rather something they neglected to tell us.  For instance… if these games are speed chess, with a really short time limit such as 4 minutes total per game.  If so, I would call it plausible, but that is slightly different.  Reasoning: for those really short games the standard software doesn’t use the standard pruning techniques, the look at everything a certain number of plies.

I suppose it is plausible a learning routine could get better at that high-speed stuff than the standard routines.  Speed chess doesn’t require the kinds of insights into the game that legions of humans have discovered in 5 centuries of play.  Those are highly tactical rather than strategic (the way top-ranked humans tend to play.)  Computers are crazy good at tactics.

However… I looked over some of those games they are claiming and it sure doesn’t look a bit like blitz chess to me.

So for now, I am going to hope for the best, keep my head in the clouds while keeping my feet on the ground.