[ExI] Forbidden Words

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 17 14:48:08 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Will Steinberg
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 1:10 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Forbidden Words

Spike,

>…Regardless of any value judgment on Hillary Clinton's scruples or corruption (for what it's worth, I think she is indeed corrupt and did indeed do much of the bad stuff she has been accused of,) could I kindly ask:

>…What the fuck does Hillary Clinton's treatment of classified files have to do with the topic of this email?

>…You're a proponent of logic, I assume?

>…Try to use it...not to be critical but, can we keep away from the non-sequiturs?  Isn't that the kind of thing JKC bugged us all with during the election?  Unless you're making some kind of oblique joke at John.  Not sure.

Hi Will,

Criticism noted and deserved, my apologies.

But not for non-sequiturs.

A marvelous feature of Exi-Chat is the chaotic formation of ideas that occurs here, often based on misunderstandings of the original intent of the author.  Recently Jeff Davis and I coinvented a concept for an aerospace system based on my misunderstanding of an idea he posted. A misunderstanding of an idea about prime numbers, posted to this forum in 1998 led to a non-sequitur and a second misunderstanding by Hal Finney, which may have led to… BitCoin.  BitCoin resulted in Jeff Davis’ recent good fortune, which empowered him to propose to me a crazy notion, which led to our co-invention of this system.

The whole thing reminds me of that excellent James Burke TV series Connections.

I see the freeform unrestrained and mostly unmoderated nature of ExI-chat as the source of its rich weirdness and enduring strength.

Regarding posts with political content: whether we like it or not, Americans must face the persistent consequences of what happened in 2015 and 2016.  I agree this is not a proper forum for that.  But that discussion is likely to continue for a generation and beyond.