[ExI] Weird!? - He's not on Facebook

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Feb 1 15:39:29 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 6:43 AM
To: Extropy Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] Weird!? - He's not on Facebook

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/7d258ad8-da0b-498d-b807-4eac941f6228?intc_type=singletheme&intc_location=bbcthree&intc_campaign=bbcthree&intc_linkname=article_socialmedia_contentcard35

Quotes:

>>...Also, I read George Orwell’s 1984 at an impressionable age, and the idea of being under constant surveillance terrifies me...
(guy in BillK's article)

I too read Orwell at an impressionable age, but constant surveillance does not terrify me.  It gives me ever more determination to make sure government behaves properly, as in within the strict bounds of the constitution.  That book is what made me such a persistent Orwell drum-beater, no apologies offered.

>...I wonder if the revival of 1984 will reduce the popularity of posting everything on Facebook?  BillK

"...revival of 1984..." oh music to my ears, thanks BillK, a book which never should have needed revival, should be required reading for all public school teenagers, even has drinking and a sex scene in it (of sorts) to motivate them.

I will turn it around and ask: has anyone here comments on the notion of being terrified or comforted by constant surveillance?  Do you have examples of kids now in their teens who have always been under constant surveillance and get nervous when they are not?  USians, are you good with all outside-your-home surveillance being 4th amendment compliant?  Does surveillance protect us or threaten us, or both?  Does it enable government wrongdoing, or expose and eliminate it, or both.  Do explain please.  BillK and you chaps in Jolly Olde and enlightened places, what does 1984 do to you?