[ExI] Huxley or Orwell - who got it right?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 4 23:23:38 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
…

​>…A colleague of mine in the English dept. and I agreed - going to class and giving a presentation is Showtime!  You have to interest them and put on a show.  Sounds degrading, doesn't it?  Nah.​  Just doing what is necessary.  billw

Ja.  As a content provider, a college professor is being required to compete against plenty of alternative means of mastering material.  Many of those alternatives are becoming most competent.

The Civilization game does a marvelous job of communicating a history meme so long underemphasized: culture is driven by technology.  In the Civilization battles, it is clear that he who gets the best technology soonest wins.  In that game the barbarians are a constant menace, but if a Civilization player invests in a few key technologies, he can get archery.  Then when he does, he can just stand back from the barbarians at a safe distance and twang em off.

What I am looking for now is a game that is analogous to Civilization but teaches actual history.

Anyone know?