[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 02:33:55 UTC 2017

On 11 February 2017 at 11:37, Colin Hales <col.hales at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yikes. I'm currently finding it hard to attend here... up to my armpits in
> my cellular automata work. I'll try and be brief and attend to the comments
> in a general sense. It's sat morn here downunder. Time out.
>
> The big one.
>
> I can use John Clark’s remarks as a launching place….
>

> “Science is empirical, it's about observing behavior of people and matter,
> if the behavior of 2 things is identical then it would be impossible by
> definition to distinguish between them scientifically, …”
>

> OK. Sorry John, but this is where my blood boils? Don’t take this
> personally. I have been watching this issue in detail for 15 years. When is
> the penny gonna drop? This very comment goes on and on and on and on in
> many different forms all over the place ….and nothing ever shifts and the
> same mistake gets made over and over and over. FFS.
>

> <Deep breaths> quasi rant-time.
>

> In exactly what way does this OBSERVING happen? It happens in the
> subjectivity of the ‘scientific observer’. The first person perspective
> (1PP) of the scientist. In the unique context of explaining qualia…. That
> first person perspective is both presupposed (the observer is being
> presupposed) and the explanandum!
>

> You cannot have objectivity without subjectivity. Subjectivity SUPERVENES
> on objectivity. What do you think you are objectifying an ‘object’ out of??
> SUBJECTIVITY! (as contents of)
>

> That being the brutal fact of being a scientist, you are then forced to
> admit that subjectivity is actually _more_ ‘evidenced’ than anything else
> in the history of science and has been evidenced in every scientific
> observation ever made in the entire history of science. Furthermore the
> “evidence” is more certain than any claim about the ‘objective observation’
> (sorry ��) of the _contents_ of a 1PP.’
>

> Can you (the group I mean) not see this? Isn’t it obvious?
>

> ==============METAPHOR
>
> Claiming that qualia are not evidenced is EXACTLY like claiming that
> movies don’t evidence a movie projector. Do you ‘see the movie projector’
> when imbued by a movie? Would you expect to? Of course not!!! Yet that
> projector is evidenced nonetheless!
>

> At the same time, the broken stupidity of the arguments say that the only
> thing that is real is the _contents_ of the picture (say X) on the movie
> screen! How stupid is this? The ‘scientific evidence’ of X provided in a
> movie about X is less certain than the evidence that there is a movie
> projector. In the case of qualia we are required to explain the existence
> and nature of the movie projector … by observing the movie? Crazy crap. Why
> is simply realising there is a movie not evidence of a movie? And that when
> that projector is shut down, all evidence of X goes with it!! 100% every
> time. Is this really that hard to get your brain around?
>

> The projector is qualia physics and the movie is the represented contents
> [...]

While it is immediately "obvious" that you need qualia to do science, with
some further reflection you should be able to see that is possible that the
scientists have no qualia - that they are philosophical zombies. It then
requires further argument to show that they are not philosophical zombies.
It is not "obvious".

--
Stathis Papaioannou