[ExI] Do digital computers feel?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 04:04:22 UTC 2017

Hi Ben,

Yes, like you said, I found this in my spam folder.  And as Mike
indicated he did, I also added a rule to gmail, so hopefully this won't
happen again.  I'm very sorry I missed (and failed to respond to) any of
your previous posts.  It looks like you have great stuff to say.

We seem to be having definition problems about what "red" means. I
completely agree with everything you say about "red" things appearing
differently in different lights and different contexts. The normal term
"red" can mean many things, but when I talk about the property of "red",
it always means a quality something has when it reflects something like
650 NM light.  That is an initial causal property of the perception
process.  The final result of a perception process is our knowledge of
the thing reflecting 650 NM light.  This subjective knowledge has a
redness quality to it. And as you say, the same "red" quality, can be
represented by many different redness shades, depending on the context
of the red.

So, in summery, a "red" property is something that reflects 650 NM
light, and a "redness" quality is a quality of our knowledge of such.
For all we know, my redness could be more like your greenness - both of
which we only say represents the same "red".

Would you agree with that, and does that help?

Brent