[ExI] AI humor

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Feb 19 19:59:50 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2017 11:09 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] AI humor

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Thanks.  Did not know you were a comic critic (pun intended).  But the
> real idea was for you all to create examples so I could be a critic.
BillW

>...Sorry. ^_^;  I've been aware of the mechanics of puns and comedy for
several years now, employing them regularly in a type of improv (RPGs).  I'd
give the academic lecture, but it might just leave you comictose....
"We want to encourage our kids toward the sciences.  We named the future
botanist Leif, the future astrophysicist Star, and the future aerospace
engineer Skye, all on the advice of our friend, Norman Klature." Adrian

Wordplay is big fun, but even bigger is niche humor.  I was at a gathering
of friends last night.  Nearly everyone there is science/technical sorts,
ladies included.  So while we were carving nanoGeezers, I googled up Wolfram
Alpha and asked for a physics joke, being as our surgeon guest took his
undergrad degrees double major in physics and engineering.  It gave me this:

... two neutrinos went through a bar...

We laughed at that silly joke like a bunch of stoners, but there was zero
drugs or alcohol at that party.  Why?  It was one of those insider things,
hard to explain.  After I told it, the thought occurred to me that this
might be the shortest joke known, six words.  Then today Adrian uncorks:
There there, they're their heirs.  This is sorta five and a half words.

Conclusion: humor is weird.  The neutrino bar joke might be the shortest
known non-wordplay gag.