[ExI] Augmented Reality in the Home

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 19:16:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 February 2017 at 14:25, Dave Sill  wrote:
> > Well, yeah, except for the fact that furniture has function.
>
> Yes, but any old chair, table or couch would do.

For appearance and nominal functionality, yes. But to obviate the need for
shopping, no. If my chair works fine but looks like crap and I'm willing to
use VR to fix it, that's great. But if my chair is broken or uncomfortable
or lacks features I need (reclining, swiveling, casters, etc.) then I still
need to physically replace it.

> Even better, you can choose to make your partner look more attractive or
> > even like someone else altogether.
>
> Again, looking and touching would have to match.  :)

Ideally, yes, but the same is true of furniture.

> I think the VR processors need to advance to the next generation to
> cope with mobile objects like other humans or animals. Changing the
> wallpaper or pictures on the wall is much easier to process.

Yes, crawl first, then walk. I'm just thinking ahead. :-)

-Dave