[ExI] Augmented Reality in the Home

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 07:02:53 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I find it amusing that AR is so often touted as something that will enable
> people to sell and buy things more easily. It has WAY more potential than
> that.

What specifically do you see?  And, almost as important, how would
people make money off it?  Advertisers make money by advertising, so
that's what they see AR as useful for.  If you want another use to
become popular, the benefit to the user has to overcome the cost and
hassle.

Ironically, this is what's likely to keep advertisers' AR dreams from
becoming reality.  Being advertised to is usually of negative benefit
to the user, unless and until advertisers actually make good on
promises of relevant ads.  (Advertisers say they'll have relevant ads
any moment now.  They have no credibility left on that promise, after
failing epicly for decades.)  Therefore, users have less reason to use
systems that advertise to them than equivalent systems that do not.
Notice how similar attempts to put intrusive ads into GPS apps tend to
just wind up with the apps that feature said ads seeing plummeting
usage, and competing apps with more than a few users left disallowing
said ads in the interests of retaining their user base.