[ExI] 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2017

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Feb 23 16:03:44 UTC 2017

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Gregory Lewis
Subject: Re: [ExI] 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2017

>…I'd defer to Anders,

Ja, a lotta times Anders consults me on this specific area, while I consult him on every other matter in life.  But in his absence, I will stand in for him.  I am a quarter Swedish, and if you gave me a brain implant which added about 200 IQ points, I would consider myself worthy to change my name to Anders Jones.

>…but my understanding is it is paradoxically challenging to keep things cold in space…

This close in to the sun, cooling a big challenge and often a mission limiter.

>…Space is also a vacuum as well as at ~ 3k, thus objects principally lose energy by thermal radiation…

Ja, radiation is the only way to reject heat.  You can conduct heat away if you have a colder object right there available, but it won’t stay cold long.

>…which is much slower than convection etc. on earth…

Convection dominates everything down here.  We forget how hard it is to make our stuff work in a vacuum.  Your cell phone won’t work in a vacuum for very long

>…(I note the ISS has a pretty involved cooling system, for example)…

Dealing with space-based radiators caused me to really think hard about entropy in an M-Brain.  If you are the designer making electrical power from solar panels and doing life support stuff such as the space station, you must pay close attention to the entropy of the energy you reject into space.  If the cooling cycle is more efficient (extracts more heat) then it requires bigger radiators to reject the waste heat, since the entropy of the coolant is higher.  If you don’t have a clear view out into cold space, that impacts the calculation as well.  Think on those two things, then using equations derived from the second law of thermodynamics, we should be able to estimate how much entropy we can produce in any solar powered anything without overheating.

spike