[ExI] Zombie Detector (was Re:Do digital computers feel?)

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 02:49:12 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe personal identity is something that falls on a spectrum, so you
> can say there is a successful transport even if it is not 100% identical,
> but of course this leads to the question of where do you draw the line. I
> am not sure that such a line can be drawn.

### The line will draw itself, once Star Trek transporters are
commercialized. The people who want to save on tickets by reducing the
fidelity of copying a tad too much will transport themselves out of the
gene pool - either by becoming demented or by converging on being somebody
else, if the transport company use some standard patches to fix gaps. The
people who want perfect copies will not travel much because their tickets
will be ruinously expensive. The myriads of distant planets will be
populated mostly by the reasonable folks, who maintain just enough fidelity
to stay stable enough to be still able to function roughly as they did
before transport.

Rafal