[ExI] AI wins at Poker now!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:56:58 UTC 2017

Saturday, January 21, 2017

CMU Artificial Intelligence Is Tough Poker Player
Libratus builds substantial lead in Brains vs. AI competition

<https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2017/january/AI-tough-poker-player.html>

Quotes:

As the “Brains Vs. Artificial Intelligence: Upping the Ante” poker
competition nears its halfway point, Carnegie Mellon University’s AI
program, called Libratus, is opening a lead over its human opponents —
four of the world’s best professional poker players. Libratus had
amassed a lead of $459,154 in chips in the 49,240 hands played by the
end of Day Nine. One of the pros, Jimmy Chou, said he and his
colleagues initially underestimated Libratus, but have come to regard
it as one tough player.

“The bot gets better and better every day,” Chou said. “It’s like a
tougher version of us.”

Chou said he and the other pros have shared notes and tips each day,
looking for weaknesses they can each exploit.

“The first couple of days, we had high hopes,” Chou said. “But every
time we find a weakness, it learns from us and the weakness disappears
the next day.”

Yea, that's the trouble with AI - they learn fast.
And that means every AI running this program is now a world-beating
poker player.
The AI Singularity could happen real fast once it starts.
(Not complaining - looking forward to it!)  :)

BillK